Thursday, March 02, 2006
Wednesday, March 01, 2006
After being a total pain in the neck for weeks, Eustace is stranded on an island with the rest of the Dawn Treader crew. He takes a walk on his own and discovers a dragon lair filled with treasure. He falls asleep on the treasure and finds that he has been transformed into a dragon.
Time passes and gradually Eustace finds ways to give and receive kindnesses, all while remaining a dragon. His heart softens. He repents. He wishes to be of service to others. One night while all alone, he meets Aslan, the lion and Christ figure of the Narnia chronicles.
Aslan tells Eustace that to become a boy again he must bathe in a pool, but first he must "undress" himself. Eustace tries in vain to peel off the layers of dragon skin, but he finds that he can't dig deep enough. Finally Aslan undresses Eustace, which is both painful and relieving. Eustace is tossed into the water and emerges a new boy. Reformed. Redeemed. Forgiven.
IJ's sermon dealt with the notion that on our own, we can't dig deep enough to remove all the ugliness from ourselves, no matter how hard we try. We have to turn to God. It may be painful, incredibly painful, but the Lord can peel off that dragon's skin and help us to be new people.
I haven't done IJ's words enough justice, but it was thought provoking and a good reminder for this Ash Wednesday. If we would be changed people, then we need to turn our will over to God. We cannot do this life alone.
Tuesday, February 28, 2006
I like this better than the Simpsons Personality Test. But of course, I didn't come off too bright in that one!
|You Are Scooter|
Brainy and knowledgable, you are the perfect sidekick.
You're always willing to lend a helping hand.
In any big event or party, you're the one who keeps things going.
"15 seconds to showtime!"
Sunday, February 26, 2006
In response to Whistle and Fish, here are my answers to their meme.
1. What's your favorite food? Yoghurt or ice cream off the spoon that my human is using.
2. What is your favorite toy? I'm not really into toys. At least that's what I tell people.
3. What is your best trick? Getting my morning beverage by licking off the walls in the shower.
4. What is your favorite human trick? Getting them to turn on the bath tap by standing in the tub and crying at night.
5. What human rule do you break often? Sleeping on the clean laundry. Honestly, though, I don't know what the big deal is.
6. What do you wish your human knew about you? I wish SodaChick would stop picking me up to make me "dance." I do not dance on two feet. I am a cat. Cats dance on four feet. But she's young, so I don't bite her.
7. What are you glad your human does NOT know about you? Although SodaChick named me Timothy Lutheran Church when I first came to live with the family eight years ago, I'm really a Presbyterian.