It's Labor Day weekend here in the United States, also known as Summer's Last Hurrah. So let's say goodbye to summer and hello to the autumn.
The start of school is always the sign for me that Fall is coming. As a child the thing that was best about all of this end to summer was it meant that my birthday was coming. One year though, the first day of school, WAS my birthday. Not my favorite way to celebrate. The biggest problem my much younger self had was that everybody was so caught up in the excitement of it being the first day of school, nobody really noticed it was MY special day. I have since gotten over all of that, I think.... And now for the list!
- Share a highlight from this summer. This summer I combined a business trip with a visit to Baby Sister and best friend, Adventure Girl. One night we had an early dinner with lots of red meat and chocolate followed by a movie. It was lots of fun being three women out and about. The conversation at dinner was great. The food was down right hedonistic. The movie met everyone's cinematic needs. A good time was had by all. Of course we felt pretty pitiful when we realized we were home before 10pm!
- Are you glad to see this summer end? Why or why not? I think I am glad that summer is over. Mostly because I can stop feeling bad about all the things I was going to do that I didn't get to. Now I have an excuse, summer is over! If I get them done now, it's like a bonus prize.
- Name one or two things you're looking forward to this fall. Getting Soda Chick settled into her new high school routine. I'm really excited for her. I am also looking forward to cooler weather, especially when supply preaching at churches without air conditioning. I am not a woman who "glows" when it's hot. I get wet!
- Do you have any special preparations or activities to mark the transition from one season to another? Getting Soda Chicky new clothes for the new school year. Today's shopping day and I hope we get through it without having too many Mother-Daughter debates. Also, the Husband feels that some kind of grilled pork is required for Labor Day. Preferably ribs or pork steaks. So after the girly shopping it's off to the grocery store.
- I'll know that fall is really here when the trees on Lincoln Drive are red and gold. When my commute changes color, I'll know that autumn has come.