What did I miss?

Friday, April 07, 2006

Friday's Fab Five from the RevGals has to do with artistic performances that somehow made an impact. So here they are in no particular order.


  1. "The Music Man" at my daughter's elementary school. SodaChick played "Woman Number 1" and had two lines in the play. She did a fabulous job of acting out the role of a middle aged mother with attitude.
  2. "Les Miserables" in London. I had jet lag from flying in that same day. But the play was wonderful!
  3. "The Phantom of the Opera" in London. My sister and I were trolling around the city trying to find something to do during a day long rail/transit strike. We ended up in front of the theater where Phantom was showing. At the time it was only showing in London and New York. We sat on the sidewalk all morning and managed to get seats for the matinee show. Even though our view was partial (we couldn't see the chandelier) it was a memorable day in many, many ways.
  4. "Honk" at SodaChick's elementary school. She had no lines this time- just a chorus member. The play is about the ugly duckling. What struck me about the play was a line from one of the songs that the mother sings to her little gosling, "Hold your head up high, like the most happy fella, while down below each thigh, apropos a propeller, must keep paddling, like the clappers. You keel paddling with your flappers, while seeming to be dreaming and calm." The play came about at a time when I felt like I was paddling like a dickens and not getting anywhere with much grace. The gentle music and words of this song were some how an encouragement.
  5. "The Sound of Music" at the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion in Los Angeles. On my tenth birthday, the entire family went to see the play. It was my first outing of this kind and I felt so grown up. What I remember the most is that the fellow who played Colonel Klink on "Hogan's Heroes" played the Captain's friend Max.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, you *did* do it!
I was beginning to think your blog was broken. Welcome back!