What did I miss?

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Foxes in the Snow

"Jumping Fox in the Snow" by Sophy White
I have known for several years that there are a fox or two living in our backyard (aka St. Paul's Lutheran Cemetery).  Knowing is one thing however and seeing is another.  Last night I went outside at about 10:30.  The snow had been coming down pretty steadily for a few hours and it was very quiet.  It was quite bright outside with the light bouncing off the snow.  I was making a trash run and when I lifted the lid on the dumpster, two foxes ran across the yard and over a large pile of snow covered earth.  They ran down the little hill and off into the cemetery.  It was so lovely to see them.   I went and sat on the porch to see if they might come back, but they had gone for the night.  As I walked on the drive I could see their tracks-  past my car, over to the neighbor's house, under the forsythia bush.  It's a wonder what you can see when the light is just right and the world has quieted down.

No comments: