What did I miss?

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Being Church Isn't Dependent on Proximity


Dear Friends in Christ-

This morning as I sat down to write to you, I decided to look for Bible verses about community.  At the top of my Google search was Hebrews 10:24-25.

“And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”

I nearly did a spit-take onto my laptop! I want to encourage and be encouraged, but it’s in the midst of intentionally not meeting together. I considered looking for something more in tune with our times but decided to stick with what I had. The writer to the Hebrews was concerned that as people eagerly anticipated the second coming of Christ, (on the Day that is approaching,) they would stop meeting together as the church. The author wanted the readers to understand that as they waited, they could be up to something good. And they could continue to build a loving community that would support each of them as they strived to be faithful followers. 

God’s people have always known that we are stronger when we have a community to support us. We need each other for “mutual conversation and consolation” as Luther put it. So, when we can’t meet, we feel a loss and we may miss opportunities to share love and care.

Being church isn’t dependent on proximity. We can be community even when we aren’t able to meet together, but we will do it better if we share our ideas, our needs and our labor. 

No comments: