What did I miss?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Personal or Professional?

I had to make a difficult decision this week at work. It was a professional decision, but like most difficult professional choices, it has personal ramifications. I prayed about my choices. I consulted my superiors and ultimately I made what I think was the best decision.

But it was painful.

Working for the church means that people often think that we must make our professional decisions with a different set of rules. But really, that doesn't make sense to me. If I were a banker or a lawyer or a carpenter- I would make my decisions in the same way I do now. My choices are influenced greatly by my faith, but so are the decisions of millions of other faithful people. Just because the church doesn't sign their paychecks doesn't mean that they aren't using the same guidelines that I use.

If church institutions are going to remain viable, we have to make wise choices. Good professional choices.

There will be an ache inside me for quite a while, I know. But I pray that I made the right choice and if I was wrong, that forgiveness is not an elusive thing.

3 comments:

Out Of Jersey said...

I appreciate what you have to say. After a long time spent in the regular working world to go back to school and about a decade from now enter the pastorate you have given me some insight.

Chris Duckworth said...

The intersection of the Kingdom of the Right and the Kingdom of the Left? Gosh, that's a hard place to live and dwell. My thoughts and prayers are with you, sister.

Pink Shoes said...

Yep. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and those also impacted by the decisions.