What did I miss?

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hungry folks

The Bug Man and I went to serve dinner at the homeless shelter tonight. Chicken, broccoli and noodle casserole was the main dish. Chocolate chip cookies for dessert, but only two per person. Things went well, but we forgot to bring along some aluminum foil. I hadn't served dinner at the shelter for a while so I didn't think of it. Unfortunately no one else thought of it either. It made me feel bad that we didn't have any. It's probably not a big deal, but folks sometimes like to wrap up some of their dinner for later. The whole thing made me think about choices. In my cozy little house with it's too full freezer, I can choose what to have for dinner and when to have it. If I want a second glass of juice or a third cookie, I can do that too. I think choices are one of the luxuries we forget about. We forget to be thankful for the fact that we have options. And the lack of options can make one feel so desperate. It's a hunger that is much harder to fill.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah, foil. One of life's luxuries, isn't it?