What did I miss?

Monday, April 14, 2008

Am I really that old?

Tonight the Chick told me that I was old enough to be the mother of one of her favorite tv people. We're watching "One Tree Hill" and Nathan aka James Lafferty is 22. So at 47 I am old enough to be his mother. Sigh...

The character has been married for six years and has a five year old son. The Chick did the math... "Grandma! Grandma!" Giggling of teenager....

I don't feel old enough to be a grandmother. I don't feel old at all. I can't do a cartwheel, but I couldn't do one when I was a kid either. So what makes us feel old? What makes us feel like we have to act our age? Or act the age that we feel? When I'm not looking in the mirror, I feel some mystical, magical age that can dance like a banshee, stay up too late, skip through the park and laugh, laugh, laugh.

I'm not sure what the point of this all is... Just want to say, I'm not that old. Not really. Not in my soul.

11 comments:

will smama said...

Smoking makes you old... ha, ha just kidding!

Our minds make us old - nothing more, nothing less.

RevHRod said...

I knew you'd know the answer.

RevHRod said...

Okay, now Lafferty's character is having sex with his wife. The Chick says, "Ooh! He's wearing tightie whities. He's not the type!" I asked how she knew this. "Guys his age don't wear those. Dad wears those..."

Maybe I am getting old. ;-)

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

so i've heard that 60 is the new 40 and that 30 is the new 20... so clearly you're only thirtysomething right?

Pink Shoes said...

You're not old.
I never once thought, when I met you, that you were old.

Kathryn said...

Since we're the same age, my dear, I can confidently assure you that we are both really quite young. Someone asked me this morning whether my children (21, 18,15) were old enough to go to Secondary school yet...which seems to me rather encouraging.
Anyway, will smama is always right so we're both definitely youthful, and, I suspect, likely to remain that way.

Unknown said...

Honey, I HAVE a 22-year-old. And I am only 46. For 19 more days.

Unknown said...

And people at my new church? Thought I couldn't be 40 yet. It's all relative.

Mary Beth said...

Not smoking makes you much YOUNGER!!!!!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I hear you. White hair notwithstanding, I am not, most certainly not, OLD! It is strange how the inside does not match the outside.

Jeanine Byers said...

I used to watch that show!

I stopped watching when the evil one killed his brother.

Hope you're feeling better, RevHRod! My son has a cold and I've been throwing every healing technique I know at him to shorten it.